5 Reasons Why Eating Weed Is Actually Good for Your Health
Marijuana or popularly known as weed has been around for a long time. It is used for recreation and medical purposes. It can be also called a superfood as it contains over 400 different chemical compounds, out of which about 70 are cannabinoids. Out of these cannabinoids, two of the most well-known compounds are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). THC is responsible for the famous cannabis high, while CBD also has many medicinal properties.
There are many forms in which weed can be consumed, eating it raw (in smoothies, salads, sauteed etc) in particular it can have enormous health benefits and incredible healing power. THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in raw weed, which upon heating slowly converts into THC, the compound responsible for the high. Therefore eating it raw provides medical benefits and does not make you too high.
Following are some reasons why eating medical marijuana is good for your health:
- Eating is better than smoking: Although weed contains many cannabinoids, burning it creates tar, which is extremely bad for the lungs and the respiratory system, so smoking pot is injurious to health. Ingesting marijuana seeds is a healthier alternative to smoking as it eliminates the harmful smoke containing dangerous tar. Moreover, eating weed also prevents the throat and mouth from getting damaged, as might be the case if smoked.
- It contains neuroprotective antioxidants: According to Studies cannabis is high in antioxidants that may be useful in the treatment of oxidative neurological disorders. THCA found in raw cannabis activates the brain's cannabinoid system which triggers the antioxidant release. These antioxidants fight against the free radicals generated in our bodies and help eliminate bad and incomplete molecules that cause damage to our DNA and other cell structures.
- Cannabis leaves are loaded with vitamins and fiber: Along with multiple health benefits, raw marijuana leaves are also loaded with vitamins such as - Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and minerals such as folate, calcium, and iron. It is also rich in fiber. So, it is indeed the new superfood.
- It helps fight cancer: To date, Cannabinoids have been licensed for clinical use in eliminating the symptoms resulting from chemotherapy, but recent findings show that the THCA found in raw cannabis can actually help in treating cancer. THCA is known to have antiproliferative qualities, i.e. they have the ability to halt the growth of cancer cells. They also have anti-metastatic properties which help prevent the cancer cells from migrating from one part of the body to the other.
The compounds found in cannabis are also known to instigate the process of apoptosis in the cancer cells. Apoptosis is a phenomenon where cells that are damaged or aged undergo a programmed cell death. For some reasons, in cancer cells, this natural occurrence of cell death is hindered. Studies show that cannabis can trigger this process in the cancer cells.
- It's a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic: THCA is also considered a potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic. Inflammation is known to be the root cause of many problems, from depression and anxiety to autoimmune disorders. So, having raw marijuana can help in treating depression and anxiety and host of other disorders caused by inflammation.
Ingesting weed in raw form is also known to reduce pain and muscle spasm. According to research, the THCA acts on the body’s TRPA1 (Transient receptor potential cation channel) receptors, these receptors are the sensor for environmental irritants such as pain, cold and itch.
This simple green herb has a multitude of benefits to offer. But, marijuana isn’t a feasible therapy for everyone, talk to your doctor or an expert to find out if it’s a good option for you.